Friday, August 3, 2012

Healing and freedom

Having a past that requires the healing touch from God, I believe there is three main things to mediate on.

  1. Who God is
  2. Who I am
  3. Gods Word the Bible to renew your mind
When I first surrendered my life, I really didn't know God.  However a great book called Lord I want to Know You by Kay Arthur was a great start by looking at the names of God.  In His name shows His character and how He reacts in a variety of scripture revealing his name. When you are faced with his name Adoni as Master or Lord, what do you do? Submit or rebel? When you look at the story of Abraham and Issac you see God reveal himself as the Lord provides.

The second most important part is the truth of who I am in Christ.  I am no longer defined by what others think of me or what I do but by the freedom of who Jesus says I am. My significance and security is based on the truths in His Word.  Ephesians has truths of who God says followers of Christ that is repeated over and over.  I used the the book Victory over the darkness by Neil Anderson.  However, since I first read it, I don't agree with everything he says but he does have a great chapter about our identity In Christ.

The third is to renew your mind.  Beth Moore also believes to not allow any destructive thoughts to have a stonghold but to instead make our mind captive to God.  She goes on to say you can't change the way you feel but you can change the way you think and that will change the way you feel.  I  believe the most effective way to apply the truth of Romans 12:2 of renewing ones mind is to mediate/memorize scripture.  Even just reading the Bible will be a great starting place to have you to think differently.  I want to know my Father so well that I will start to discern situations and love people the way He would because I have the actual recordings of how he worked in the past.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100%. Thanks for the reminders. Lets memorize together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait. I am working on some random verses at Sunday School but it will end in 3 weeks. Let me see how to do this again without Facebook in September.

    ReplyDelete