Saturday, March 1, 2014

Surgery on Sale?

I have an upcoming surgery for spring break. It is not life threatening but, it is getting to the large size and needs to be removed.


God has taken me on a long road regarding my short-snippy attitude with medical personnel.  It is not the actual caregivers (nurses or doctors) but, I have had an short-tempered erruption on more than a few medical billing personnel.  My ugly face came out.  It wasn't pretty and often it hurt or destroyed my testimony for our Lord.

However, after looking at some of the reasons of my anger/frustration I was humbled by my lack of faith in my Jehovah-Jireh (my provider) God.  Not to say the USA medical billing and outrageous prices do not need a serious overhaul, but, my choice to believe and behave like a child of God dosesn't mean I need to make other peoples job miserable.  My anger doesn't bring out the righteousness that God desires.  God holds me responsible for the way I speak and love others.  (even medical billing).  

Since I am a "cash" patient (which means I have no insurance), I have the privilege of calling all the hospitals, surgical centers, to find out the cost of my procedure.  So, in a way, I get to go shopping.

In my shopping, I found my surgery ON SALE.  Yes, you read it right.  But, Alaska Regional Hospital when I called on 2/27 said that this operation/day surgery would be 75% off if I book it by 2/28.  I really couldn't believe it, but it was true.

So, just for your knowledge the difference in prices were quoted to me as follows.

For the use of the surgical room:

Mat-Su Regional Hospital $20,000 to $40,000 (with a 20% off if I pay upfront)
Anchorage Surgical Center $6700
Providence 15,000-27,000
Alaska Regional Hospital $2000

I still need to pay for the anesthesiologist $1600, labs ($unknown), and surgens fee $5600.

However, we are using Christians Healthcare Ministry and we trust that the surgery will be shared with others. If you sign up for Christians Healthcare ministry we get a free month! I would be glad to share how it works.




No comments:

Post a Comment