Saturday, July 28, 2012

Prepare for SCIENCE!


Last year, I just bought a science kit with the needed supplies.  It was around $100 and I learned a bit. Between a friend and I, our supplies worked half of the time.  The items were cheaply made and easily broken.  This year having some extra time on my hands and less money, I decided to take the knowledge of purchasing a kit to make my own science experimental kit for less money and better supplies.  

He is how you set up a science experimental kit for less money and a little bit of effort.

  1. Print off a list of supplies that come with a prepurchased kit.  They are available free on any sites that sell a kit.
  2. Cross off what you have in your home.
  3. Take the list to local thrift stores or Walmart/grocery store and purchase items
  4. In the kitchen, take a plastic shopping bag and place the items for that week in the bag. 
  5. Measure out items like baking soda, salt, etc into small sandwich ziplocks so that you don't need to put a 20 lbs of flour into the little weekly bag.
  6. Use a sharpie to label the bags with masking tape ie. Week 1, week 2
  7. Place all bags into a science box.

So easy and fun.  




The items that are perishable that must be purchased close to the time of the science week, I make a list and keep it as a shopping list. Since I am in a co-op, we keep to a regular schedule during the year.

Science notebooks
I have used notebook paper that is blinded together, but this year we purchased the spiral bound note booking journals for the colorful anatomy overlays and other fun interactive work.  I will let you know if I go back to a bad of paper next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment